Friday, January 08, 2010

Thinking, Thankful


I think this blog should start with a disclaimer.  Warning - reading this blog might make you think. 

One of my dear friends works at our hospital in the oncology unit.  Being there, you get used to seeing people battle cancer, and either with the grace of God become fully healed, or courageously move on.  Being the wife of a cancer survivor and the granddaughter of one as well, I sometimes forget that not everyone survives this hideous disease.  Today someone will lose their hard-fought battle.  Today someone will finally feel no pain and be able to rest in peace.  Today is her last day.

Let's call her "Jane".  We went to school together, but we weren't friends.  I'm not sure that we ever even said "Hi" to each other, so I'm not going to sit hear and say that I'm going to miss her.  But on her last day, without even realizing it, she has made me think.  Think about how truly blessed my life is.  

My husband survived cancer!!  And we have two beautiful girls together that we were told we would never have.  Do you know how huge that is?!  I used to.  But over the years I've forgotten.  Today, on her last day, Jane helped me remember.  And I thank her for that.  I am able to be with my family and enjoy our everyday lives.  I get to wake up in the morning to Lorelai coming in our room saying, "Momma, night night all done!".  I get to feed Scarlett and look at her looking up at me with this sense of security and comfort.  I get to kiss my husband when we meet up again after a long day.  I get to go to bed every night next to Geoff, with our two girls sound asleep and dreaming in their beds knowing that I have been blessed to have this day with my family.  Jane has helped me remember that not everyone is as lucky as I am.  I can see that better today than perhaps I ever have.

I pray for Jane and her family.  For the child, the sister, the friend that they will say goodbye to for now.  I pray that Jane passes peacefully and that her family is also able to be at peace knowing that she is no longer in pain.   I pray for the rest of us, that we will be thankful, and I mean truly thankful for the day to day blessings that we have.  And I pray that we stop and think about this more often than we do.  

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE SO RIGHT! We should all take the time to sit back and realize how thankful we all are. I have been thinking of all the people i know that have and have had cancer and it is mind blowig just how many i came up with.... I pray that peace is with all the families that have been burdened by this. And for your family Amanda *wow* what an amazing story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my god Manda...I just read this and it made me cry again....I had no clue her passing made you feel this way! I firmly believe that I am blessed to have you as my friend...and to love your family makes me beyond happy....

    ReplyDelete