Saturday, January 09, 2010

Bad hair days, no more!

If you have met our daughter, you might notice something about her.  Her hair!  Bless her heart, she has callicks, a mullet, and she even has a chunk missing from when she tried to remedy her hair herself.  She's had hair cuts before, but just for trims and such.  Somehow the hair on the back of her head grew 10 times faster than the rest of her hair and Geoff and I didn't know how to fix it.  The only thing to do was cut it.  I mean really cut it.  I'm big on longer hair, so I really didn't want to cut all of my little girl's hair off.  But I also don't want her to come to me one day and say, "Mom, why would you let me go through my childhood years with a mullet?  How could you do that to me?".  So I finally sucked it up and said, "It's time". 

The last time we took her for a hair cut, she screamed when we put her in the chair.  She wouldn't let that poor lady near her!  We ended up leaving, dreading the day that we would have to attempt this feat again.  Well, today was that day.  I was working her up for it too.  "Lorelai, aren't you excited to sit in the big, cool chair? Don't you want the nice lady to cut your hair and make it pretty?"  "Yeah...." was her answer in this long, drawn out, almost whiny voice.  But before she went to bed last night, she wouldn't stop talking about getting her hair cut.  "Nice lady cut Lorelai's hair, make it pretty!"  She seemed genuinely excited for this event.  Geoff and I went to bed hopeful that this would work.

The same excitement followed her when she woke up, and we crossed our fingers.  When we got there, she said hi to everyone and was in a great mood.  Then her name was called.  I picked her up to carry her to that dreaded "big, cool chair" that I had tried to prep her for.  There was a quiet whiny yell, and I thought to myself, "I might as well turn around right now and take her home".  But I kept going forward.  The stylist let her sit on my lap and gave her a spray bottle of water.  That was all it took!  That stylist was in like cake at a birthday party!  I told her we needed to get rid of the mullet, so I knew what was coming.  A giant lock of hair was about to fall off of her head.  But when it came time for the cut, I held my breath and watched with utter sadness that my baby's hair was gone.  Anyone who has been in this position knows what it feels like.  I knew it was for the better though, so I held back the tears - at least until we had gotten back in the car!  In the end, she came out looking like the big kid that she is and it's beautiful!  Now I just have to figure out how to style it.  Any ideas??


3 comments:

  1. well i typed this one time and then erased it by accident but anywho... i was sayinf you could put it in piggy tails i will upload a picture to FB so you can see what D's looked like when her hait was that short.. just to see if you like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'll have to try. But definitely put a pic up anyway! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word. she looks beautiful. i love the befor/after pic thing too funny. your just going to have to rock the head bands, clips and bows for a bit. and some sort of spray for the bad days...
    maxine

    ReplyDelete